Reddit is one of the most favourite places on the Internet where people discuss things that they love the most. There are thousands of communities on Reddit based on different topics, interests, and hobbies. You can share your knowledge with other people, get your problems solved, and discuss various subjects.
If you are a frequent user of Reddit, you have probably encountered this annoying dialog box several times which keeps asking you to open the Reddit on the app or continue in the browser. Reddit has been promoting its mobile app and encouraging people to use it instead of the web version n for a long time.
No doubt, the mobile app provides a better user experience but you may not want to install it on your phone for some reason. This open in app dialog box doesn’t show for just one time only but it keeps popping up every time you open a new page on Reddit. Do you want to get rid of this dialog box permanently and continue using the web version of Reddit without any interruptions? We got you covered in this article.
Disable open in app pop-up on Reddit
Reddit itself knows that the open in app dialog box is very annoying for most users and that’s the reason why they have provided an option to disable it. This option is available right in the website menu. Here’s a step-by-step guide that shows you how to disable open in app pop-up on Reddit –
- Open the browser that you use to access Reddit on your phone.
- Visit the Reddit website and log in to your account. You do not necessarily need to log in so this is optional.
- Now tap the menu button (three parallel lines) at the top right corner of the website. This is available in the header navigation bar.
- Next, click on the Settings option to expand the drop-down section.
- You will see an option named Ask to Open In App. This is what you need to disable. Just untick the button.
So now you have successfully disabled the open in app dialog box on Reddit. You won’t see any pop-up asking you to choose between using Reddit on the app or continuing through the browser.
Exceptions when open in app popup will show again
- When you clear browsing data on your browser – Browsing data consists of cookies and other cache saved by the websites. Sometimes you need to delete browsing data to make the browser run faster. If you do so, it will delete the Reddit settings and reset everything to its default state.
- When you clear app data of your browser – Android provides an option to manually delete cached data of the apps on your phone from settings. Deleting cached data removes everything from the browser including browsing history, cookies, bookmarks, passwords, and more.
- When you uninstall and reinstall the browser – This case is self-explanatory. You may already know that when you uninstall an app from your phone, all the app data is deleted permanently so even if you reinstall the app, you will need to set up everything again.
- When you use the Reddit website in the incognito tab – Almost every browser has an incognito or private browsing feature. This allows you to browse the internet anonymously. When you are private browsing, your browser creates a temporary session that is isolated from the browser’s main session and user data. This is the reason why you will still see that open in app dialog box when accessing the Reddit website through the incognito tab.
- When you use Reddit in a different browser – The cookies that Reddit has saved on the browser where you have disabled open in app pop-up box will not transfer to the other browsers on your phone. So if you will use a different browser to visit Reddit, you will need to disable the open in app popup on it separately.
No one likes to see random popups showing on their screen all of a sudden when they are casually browsing the internet or hunting for some information. The developers of Reddit should know that showing a popup again and again affects their user experience. They could have added a functionality based on cookies to show the popup only once. But luckily, at least they have provided a feature to get rid of this annoying open in app dialog box by disabling it from the settings in the menu. Let us know if you also ever get annoyed by this Reddit pop-up and how do you feel after disabling it. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments below.