Most likely, you would have seen campaigns asking you to link your voter ID with your Aadhaar card. Both these documents are used for different purposes. Voter ID card (also known as EPIC) allow people who are over the age of 18 to vote in elections.
Aadhaar card, on the other hand, is a popular and widely accepted identity proof in India. The main reason why the Election Commission of India (ECI) is insisting people to link their voter ID with their Aadhaar card is to reduce the number of fraudulent votes which were caused by duplicate and fake voter ID cards.
In this article, we are going to discuss various methods that can help you to link your voter ID with Aadhaar card through NVSP portal, Voter Helpline app, SMS, and phone call. You will also learn about the benefits and importance of linking your EPIC to Aadhaar card. Let’s get started!
What documents you need to link your voter ID with Aadhaar card?
There are only three things that you need to have before you start the linking process. One is your Aadhaar card number, the second is your voter ID card number (also called EPIC number), and the third one is your phone number. This must be the same phone number that is linked to your Aadhaar card.
1: Link Voter ID with Aadhaar Card using Voter Helpline app
In this method, we will be using an app named Voter Helpline to link your voter ID with an Aadhaar card. This is an official app which has been developed by the Election Commission of India (ECI) to provide Indian citizens with access to all information and services related to their Voter ID card.
Voter Helpline app is available on the Play Store for Android users and on the App Store for iPhone/iOS users. It’s a free app without any in-app purchases. This step-by-step guide will show you how to link your voter ID with Aadhaar card:
- Download and install the Voter Helpline app on your smartphone.
- Launch the app and allow it send you notifications. Soon after you will land on the Disclaimer page. Read the information shown on your screen (if necessary) and tick I Agree button. After that, click Next option to continue.
- Now select Voter Registration option once you are inside the homepage. This will open a pop-up menu.
- Click Electoral Authentication Form (Form 6B). If you are a registered user, enter your phone number to login. This must be the same phone number that is linked to your Aadhaar card. Enter the OTP received on it and then your password, followed by clicking on LOGIN NOW button.
- If you haven’t registered yet, you can click on New User option and then create your account. For this, you just have to enter your phone number. You will receive an OTP on it. Fill out other details that were asked such as your email address and password. Once you have been registered, login to your account as discussed in the previous step.
- After logging in, go to Menu > Voter Services > Electoral Authentication Form (Form 6B) and tap Let’s Start button.
- Now you will be asked whether you already have Voter ID number. Select Yes, I have Voter ID number and tap Next button to continue.
- Enter your voter ID number and select your state. Click on Fetch Details, followed by clicking on Proceed button to move to the next step.
- Fill in your Aadhaar card details such as Aadhaar number, registered mobile number, and your place of authentication. Click Done after that.
- The next page will show you preview of your Form 6B. Check if all your details are correct and finally click on Confirm to submit your form. That’s it! You have successfully linked your Voter ID with Aadhaar card.
2: Link voter ID with Aadhaar card using NVSP online portal
Another way to link your voter ID with an Aadhaar card is by using the National Voter Service Portal (aka NVSP). This is an online portal developed by the Election Commission of India (ECI) that provides voter ID-related services to citizens.
One major advantage of using this method is that you don’t need to install any application on your device. NVSP is an online portal that can be accessed through any web browser. You can also use this method on any device including a PC, smartphone, and tablet.
Follow these simple steps to link your voter ID with your Aadhaar online using the NVSP website:
- Open any browser on your PC or smartphone such as Chrome and visit the NVSP website at voterportal.eci.gov.in
- If you are a new user, click ‘Create an account’ option. Enter your phone number and tap Send OTP. After that, verify the OTP you have received and then follow the rest of the steps to complete the registration. Once it’s done, login to your account.
- As you login, you will be asked to provide your profile details such as name, surname, state, and gender. Tap Submit button to save your information.
- On the homepage, choose Aadhaar Linkage option. Tap Let’s Start to continue.
- Select Yes, I have Voter ID number and then enter it. Click on Fetch Details. It will show all the details of your voter ID. Save your record and continue.
- Now you will be taken to the Form 6B. Verify your phone number via OTP, if prompted. Choose Yes, I have Aadhaar Card option and fill in your Aadhaar number. Click on Save & Continue after that.
- On the General Declaration page, enter your place. Check other details such as your name and date. Right after this step, you will see the preview of your Form 6B. Once everything is done, submit your form.
3: Link voter ID with Aadhaar card via SMS
ECI has also launched an SMS service to help citizens link their voter ID with Aadhaar card. This is one of the easiest method which can be used by non-smartphone users also. Here’s what you need to do –
- Compose a new SMS and type this: ECILINK<SPACE><Voter ID card number><SPACE><Aadhaar card number>
- Make sure to add your voter ID card and Aadhaar card numbers in the message. The final text should look something like this: ECILINK AEG1234567 123456798344
- Send this SMS to 166 or 51969
- Note that you have to send this SMS from the same phone number that is registered with your Aadhaar card.
4: Visit your nearest booth centre
It may not be possible for everyone to link their Aadhaar card with their voter ID card through the online NVSP portal. To provide offline services, the Election Commission of India has also set up special camps. If elections are going on in your area, you can visit the nearest voting booth centre and ask the help desk to provide you with manual instructions for filling out Form 6B. Fill in all the details and submit your form.
5: Link voter ID to Aadhaar card through phone
A phone call service is also available that can help you to link your voter ID to Aadhaar card. To use this offline method, dial 1950 on week days between 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. You will be asked to provide your Aadhaar card number and EPIC details. The call executive will submit your form and save it on record.
What are the benefits of linking voter ID to Aadhaar card?
Linking voter ID to an Aadhaar card will help build a more sophisticated system for election voting. This will ensure that there will be no fraudulent votes. As a result, it will benefit the nation and the democratic system. On a personal level, having both your documents linked will increase the authenticity to prove your identity. This may be helpful to you in future.
Frequently asked questions
No. There are no charges for this. If you come across any website that is asking you to pay some amount, it is definitely a phishing website that is made for scamming people.
No. It’s not necessary to link these documents. It’s completely voluntary. There are no guidelines by the Election Commission of India as of now.
Form 6B allows you to link your voter ID with your Aadhaar card. It can be filled through Voter Helpline app or by using the NVSP online portal.
Upon successful submission of your Form 6B, you will get a form reference ID on your registered phone number and also on your screen when you complete filling the form. You can use this reference ID to track the status of your form through NVSP website.
A voter ID (or EPIC) linked to an Aadhaar card has several benefits, and it should be done as soon as possible. We hope this guide has been helpful for you to link your voter ID with your Aadhaar card online. We showed you different methods to do this including via the NSVP portal, Voter Helpline app, SMS, and phone call. If you have any questions in your mind, feel free to share them in the comments below.