RC comes in hard copy format which is given to the owner by the showroom from where they purchased the vehicle. As hard copy is just a piece of paper so it can get damaged easily. Keeping this thing in mind, government has also started to give RC in smart card form nowadays. Apart from that, you can also download a digital copy of your vehicle’s registration certificate (RC) with apps like mParivahan and DigiLocker.
In this tutorial, we will discuss how you can download virtual vehicle RC on your iPhone or Android smartphone. In case if you forget or lost the original registration certificate of your vehicle, you can show the digital copy of your RC when you are asked to show your vehicle’s documents at police checking. You might have some questions in your mind like is virtual RC valid, how much you will be challaned if you failed to show your RC, how can you can find details of any vehicle with RC number etc. We will answer all these questions in this tutorial.
Requirements to download vehicle RC online
Here are few important things you need to collect before moving to the steps –
- RC number – Also known as registration number. It is same as your vehicle number which is printed on the number plate.
- Engine number – This number is stamped on the engine of your vehicle which is allotted by the manufacturer. It is used for the identification purpose. You can find engine number on your original RC.
- Chassis number – Also know as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). It is a 17-digit unique number made to identify your vehicle. This number is stamped on your vehicle chassis. You can also find it on your RC.
Download vehicle RC online from mParivahan app
mParivahan is an official app developed by the government of India which provides various transport services including virtual driving license (DL) and vehicle RC. Apart from that, you can also find details of any vehicle such as owner name, registration date, vehicle age, fuel type, insurance validity, etc., just by entering their registration number. As for this tutorial, we are concerned about downloading virtual RC of your vehicle with mParivahan app. Just follow these simple steps –
- Download and install the mParivahan app on your smartphone. This app is available on both App Store (for iPhone) and Google Play Store (for Android).
- Next, open the mParivahan app once it is installed successfully.
- Go to the RC Dashboard tab from the menu at the top.
- Enter your RC or vehicle number in the search tab and then tap the search button.
- Now mParivahan app will search your RC details on its servers and then it will show you various information such as owner name, registration authority, vehicle class, RC status, fuel type, vehicle age, registration date, insurance and PUCC validity.
- To save the virtual RC on your phone, tap the Add to Dashboard for Virtual RC button.
- Now you will be asked to provide the last four digits of your chassis and engine number to verify your RC. Just tap the Verify button.
- Once after verifying your details, mParivahan app will save your virtual RC and add it the Dashboard.
For more transport related services such to know your DL status, applying for RC transfer, etc., you can also visit mParivihan online portal website.
Download vehicle RC online from DigiLocker app
DigiLocker is another mobile app through which you can download virtual RC of your vehicle. It is basically a document wallet app made to download and save all your documents digitally. DigiLocker is available for both iPhone and Android. Apart from that, it also has a web version which you can access directly through its website. This step-by-step guide will show you how to download vehicle RC online with DigiLocker app –
- Download and install the DigiLocker app from App Store or Play Store on your smartphone. After that, open the app and go to Account tab. If you don’t have account on DigiLocker, then sign up to create one. If you already have, then simply login to your account.
- Go to Home tab and click Ministry of Road Transport and Highways under Central Government.
- Now click on Registration of Vehicles option.
- Enter your registration number and chassis number. Make sure that consent button is tick marked.
- Tap Get Document button. After verifying your details, DigiLocker will download your RC from its servers.
- You will find your RC in Issued Documents tab named as Registration of Vehicles. Just click on it open.
- If you want to download the PDF file of your RC, then tap three dots button and choose View PDF. After that, you will see an option to share the file. Click the share icon to save the PDF on your phone. That’s it. You can now send it to anyone via WhatsApp documents or print it out as a hard copy.
You can also check out this detailed video which shows you how to download vehicle’s registration cerfiticate on your iPhone or Android smartphone with DigiLocker app –
Download RC online from DigiLocker website
You can also use DigiLocker website to download virtual RC of your vehicle online if you don’t want to install any app on your smartphone. The steps are almost the same as in the previous method. First, go to the DigiLocker website and login to your account. After that, find and open Ministry of Road Transport and Highways under Central Government section. Next, click on Registration of Vehicles and then enter your RC details such as registration number and chassic number. Now tap Get Document button. Upon verifying your details, DigiLocker will save your RC in Issued Documents. Just go to Menu > Issued Documents and click on Registration of Vehicles. This will open up the virtual copy of your vehicle RC. You can also download it on your phone offline as PDF file.
What details are available in the virtual RC
You will find almost all information of your vehicle in virtual RC as in the original registration certificate. Here we have listed all of them –
- Registration number
- Chassis Number
- Engine Number
- Registration Date and Expiry
- Vehicle Type
- Vehicle Model
- Fuel Type
- Vehicle Color
- Seat Capacity
- Month/Year of Manufacturing
- Cubic Capacity (CC)
- RC Status (Active or Expired)
- Owner Name and S/W/D Name
- Present and Permanent Address
- PUC Certificate details
- Insurance details
General FAQs about downloading RC online
There are a lot of questions people ask about downloading virtual RC such as is it same as original registration certificate, is it considered valid, can you show it to traffic cop when asked to provide your vehicle documents, how much challan you have to pay if you failed to show your RC, etc. We have already collected some frequently asked questions and explained them in detail below –
Is the virtual RC same as original RC?
NO. The virtual RC is shown in a digital form which is not exactly the same as your original registration certificate. If you we talk about mParivahan app, it will show only useful details of your RC in a digital format which is different from your original RC. Same is with the DigiLocker app also but if you download the PDF file, it will show details in a well formatted way.
Is digital RC valid all over India?
Yes, the government of India has made the digital copy of RC valid across all states. If you are asked to show your vehicle documents by a traffic police, you can show them digitally on your phone in mParivahan or DigiLocker app. You will not be asked to provide the hard copy of your registration certificate. The reason why virtual RC is considered valid is because it is downloaded from the servers online.
How much is the challan for RC?
If you failed to show either the digital or hard copy of your vehicle RC to the traffic police at the scene, then you can be fined ₹2,000 for driving without the vehicle’s registration certificate (RC). However, there is a provision that allows you to show the documents later within a time period of 15 days to get your fines cancelled by paying just ₹100.
Can you save virtual RC on your phone offline?
Yes, you can save virtual RC on your phone offline by downloading it as PDF file. However, it is not considered valid by police. This is because PDF files can be morphed easily. You can only show your documents online in mParivahan or DigiLocker app as they are downloaded from the servers.
Can other people also check your RC details?
Yes, other people can also check your RC details with mParivahan app by entering your vehicle number. The mParivahan app has made some information of the vehicle public which anyone can check without even providing the engine and chassis number. When you are at checking, traffic copy can also check your RC details on their phone for cross verification.
How to find details of any vehicle with their number?
You can find details of any parked, accidental or theft vehicle with mParivahan app. This is absolutely free without any registration. Just open the mParivahan app and go to the RC Dashboard. After that, enter the vehicle number whose details you want to find and tap the search button. To know other methods, you can check out this guide on how to find vehicle details with vehicle number.
How to download driving licence (DL) online?
Driving License is another important document which you have carry when you are driving any vehicle. Like RC, you can also download a virtual copy of your driving license (DL) with mParivahan and DigiLocker app. We have already published an in-depth tutorial on this topic. Make sure to check out this article: How to download driving license (DL) online
So that’s everything you need to know about downloading the digital copy of your vehicle’s registration certificate (RC). We have shared various methods in this tutorial. You can use any of them based on your preference. If we talk about which app is better between mParivahan and DigiLocker, then mParivahan is clearly the best option as it is specifically made for the transport services to download RC and DL. On the other hand, if you also want to download other documents such as aadhaar card, then you can use DigiLocker. Let us know which one do your prefer. If you want to ask something related to this tutorial, feel free to share it in the comments below.