This new settings by YouTube has received mostly negative reviews by the users from all over the world. It has been criticised specially by those people who used to watch their videos at 144p mainly to save their mobile data. Even at the data saver mode, YouTube chooses higher video quality than 144p.
Although, you can still go to the Advanced option and manually select the video quality but it doesn’t remain permanently. You have to do the same thing for all videos again and again and it’s really a great headache. If you are also facing this issue, then this tutorial is for you. In this guide, we will discuss how you can set 144p in new YouTube video quality settings.
What are the new YouTube video quality options
There are basically four new video quality options that are added in the YouTube mobile app. Now you will see these options instead of the old settings where you are allowed to set the video quality manually. Below we have mentioned and explained all these 4 options –
- Auto (recommend) – This lets YouTube select the best video quality to give you best experience for your conditions. As mentioned, it is recommended by YouTube as well.
- Higher picture quality – This option will play your videos at higher resolution to give better experience. Please note that it will also consume more mobile data.
- Data saver – As the name suggests, data saver mode will keep your mobile data usage minimum but it will play videos at lowest possible quality.
- Advanced – In this option, you can manually choose specific resolution at which you want to play the videos. There are various video resolutions available such as 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p (4K).
How to remove YouTube new video quality options
Let’s get this thing cleared first. Speaking frankly, there is no way you can remove new video quality options from the YouTube app on your phone. This is because YouTube has added this feature in the in-app update remotely i.e. these changes are applied without letting users manually updated the YouTube app on their phone. So even if you try deleting the current version of the YouTube and install some older version, this new video quality settings will still remain there.
How to set 144p in new Youtube video quality manually
Did your daily data usage also get exhausted very fast even without completing the full day? If you watch videos and listen songs on YouTube, then most of your data might be going there. The new YouTube video quality settings has even increased more data usage by the app as you are not allowed to play videos at 144p resolution permanently.
Luckily, there is a way by which you can manually choose to set the videos quality at 144p on YouTube. Just follow this step-by-step guide –
- Open the YouTube app on your smartphone.
- Find and play any video you want to view in 144p video quality.
- Click the menu button (three dots) at the top-right corner of the video.
- Now a pop-up box will open. Click Quality option.
- Here you will see the new YouTube video quality options named Auto, higher picture quality, data saver, and advanced. Tap on the Advanced option.
- Now you will see various video quality resolutions from 144p upto 2160p (4K video quality). Simply, select 144p and this is play your video at the lower resolution, thus consuming less of your mobile data.
Please note that this settings will only be applied on your current video. You have do the same thing for all videos that you want to play at 144p resolution.
How to set video quality preference on YouTube permanently
It’s really annoying to change the video quality manually for every single video. Thankfully, YouTube has this feature which allows you to choose your preference for settings the video quality at one resolution permanently. Here’s how you can use this feature –
- Open the YouTube app on your phone.
- Click your profile icon at the top-right corner of the app.
- Then choose Settings option.
- Now scroll down and click Video Quality Preferences option.
- Here you can choose the default video quality option for both mobile data and Wi-Fi. There are three options available: Auto (recommend), Higher picture quality, and Data Saver mode. Just select anyone which you want to use permanently.
Unfortunately, YouTube hasn’t added Advanced option in the video quality preferences settings. So you can choose between other three options only. If you want to save your mobile data, then use Data Saver. On the other hand, if you want better video quality, then choose Higher picture quality option. You can also select Auto (recommend) and let YouTube choose what is best for your conditions.
So that’s pretty much everything you need to know about the new YouTube video quality options. We have also discussed how you can manually set your video quality at 144p resolution and change video quality preferences permanently. If you have any questions in your mind related to this topic, feel free to share them in the comments below. By the way, what your views on this new YouTube settings. Let us know!