Instagram never fails to impress us with its magnificent features. And these features are improving with each update. Along with the existing ones, the new features are also being introduced to us with every update. One such exciting feature of Instagram that almost every Instagram user savors is the story feature.
It’s always pleasing to share the story with your followers about what you do in your daily life, updating them on your vacations, or simply sharing something random. But it literally freaks out the people when a beautifully captured photo is ruined by the Instagram story when it gets zoomed in. The automatic zooming of the story feature kills the quality of the photo or the video and sometimes it crops the beautiful detaining on the side of the photo or the video.
This actually happens due to the wrong aspect ratio of the photo or the video you are trying to share on your story. The Instagram story will perfectly accept a photo that has a 9:16 aspect ratio, and any photo which is not in that ratio will be zoomed. So if the next story you want to share is not in a perfect ratio, here’s how you can correct it.
1. Zoom in and zoom out feature of Instagram
The first and the easiest way to share a story in actual size instead of sharing it zoomed can be done using the built-in feature of Instagram. When you select a photo to share on your story, it will automatically crop from the side, but if you pinch out the photo with two fingers, the photo can be adjusted to its original size and the remaining borders will blend with the colors of the photo. Now you can share the story as it is in its original size and the detailing on the side will not be missed.
2. Take a screenshot of the photo from gallery
Your own phone gallery hides the solution while you are looking for it outside. To correct the aspect ratio of the photo you want to share on your story, open that photo in your gallery, hide the options that you see like delete and edit, etc by tapping on the screen, and when the borders are black, simply take a screenshot. Now share this screenshot in the story instead of the original photo and you will see that the photo is not cropped from the upper borders.
3. Edit photo to fit in 9:16 aspect ratio
There are third-party apps available on the Play Store that can help you create a perfect size story for Instagram by adding borders at the sides.
InstaSize app is specially made for helping Instagram users create a perfect-sized story, collage, and posts for Instagram. Most importantly, the app is easy to use and is understandable at first glance.
- Download the InstaSize app from the Play Store or App Store and open it. Tap on the plus icon given at the bottom to start editing the photo for your story.
- Now check the box that states that you allow the app to collect data and you are more than 16 years old and then tap on Agree to Continue.
- Now select the photo from your gallery by tapping on the Photo option at the bottom.
- Simply by adding a photo to the app, the border will be added to it just as you want. The border will be added to the right and left sides. Tap on the share option given at the side and save the photo to your phone gallery.
If you don’t want to add a simple white border then you can choose to add other designer borders on the side. Simply select the option with a square inside a square at the bottom and here you see the list of options to choose from. Some of the borders will be paid, but a lot of options are free to use.
If you already use the Picsart app on your phone then you don’t need to install any other app for creating an Instagram story compatible photo.
- Open the Picsart app and and select the Background option given at the top.
- Now select any background of your choice. There are a plenty of vivid and alluring backgrounds to choose from.
- Once you are in the editor screen, click on the Tools option and then choose Crop. Now select the Story size from the bottom and it will crop your photo in 16:9 aspect ratio.
- In the next step, select the Add Photo option and choose the photo from the phone gallery that you want to post as your story.
- Now simply extend the photo using the extend option at the bottom right corner of the photo till it reaches both the ends of the background image.
With this you have created a perfect sized photo for your Instagram story using n appealing background at the back.
Tips and tricks for future
Some people might not like to upload the story by adding borders, but as the aspect ratio was not correct, you don’t have any other option except for adding border and then posting it as a story. But you can be careful about it in the future and add the full size photo as story without getting any unnecessary zoom on the photo.
Clicking photo with Instagram story camera
If your photo is clicked directly through the story camera, you automatically save yourself from the zooming effect of story. And this way, you will keep in mind to keep the important things to show in the centre of the story.
Clicking photos in full size
Some people might feel that the camera of story feature is not clicking a good quality photo and they want to avoid it. In that case you can use the camera app of your phone, but instead of using it in 4:3 aspect ratio, click the photo in full size, that is 9:16 ratio. The photos clicked in full size camera will not be zoomed in Instagram story.
Adding a story to Instagram is easy, but adding a perfect story is hard. There are thousands of tips and tricks that you can use to enhance the looks of your Instagram story. One such tip is uploading the story without zoom because it decreases the quality of the photo and the details might crop out. So it’s better to upload the stories without zoom. If you have any queries, feel free to share them in the comments below.