WhatsApp, being the most active messaging app, also introduced a payment system on its platform recently. This new feature is called WhatsApp Payments. It allows you to send and receive payments to/from your WhatsApp contacts directly without using any third-party application.
WhatsApp Payments is also based on UPI (short for Unified Payment Interface) system which makes money transactions possible in real-time. If you are new to WhatsApp Payments and want to know about this feature like how to use it, transfer money on WhatsApp to your friends, etc., then this article is for you. Here we will discuss every single thing related to WhatsApp Payments.
How to check if your WhatsApp has enabled Payments
As of now, WhatsApp hasn’t rolled out Payments feature for everyone. The feature is undergoing the process of complete roll out in India. If you are not sure whether WhatsApp has enabled Payments for you or not, then follow this step-by-step guide –
- Make sure to update the WhatsApp app on your smartphone. Most probably, you will be using an older version, so it is good to update it to the latest one. You can do that easily from the app store of your phone.
- Next, open WhatsApp and tap the menu button (three dots at the top-right corner of the screen).
- A small drop-down menu will appear where you will see Payments option. If it’s not available, then WhatsApp Payments is not enabled for you yet.
Another alternative way to find if WhatsApp has enabled your Payments feature is to check it from the chat’s attachment box. For this, simply open any chat on your WhatsApp, click the attach button (paper clip like icon) to the left side of the message editor. If you see Payment option in the attachment box, then WhatsApp Payments is enabled for you.
How to add payment method in WhatsApp Payments
Before you start sending and receiving money through WhatsApp Payments, you need to set up your payment method. This includes adding your bank account, verifying your phone number and debit card. This step-by-step guide will show you how to setup WhatsApp Payments –
- Open WhatsApp on your Android phone.
- Go to the menu – Click three dots menu button at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click Payments option – As the menu appear, you will see Payments option there. Clicking on that will open WhatsApp Payments page.
- Click Add payment method – This option is available under Payment methods section.
- Select your bank – WhatsApp will now show you a list of banks. Find and select your bank. Next, it will fetch the bank account(s) linked with your phone number. Select the one you want to use for your WhatsApp Payments.
- Verify your phone number – Simply, tap Verify Via SMS button. SMS charges may apply for the verification process as WhatsApp will send an SMS from your phone to verify your phone number. This verification is required to fetch the bank accounts that are connected with your phone number.
- Verify debit card – You are almost done setting up your WhatsApp Payments. In order to start sending and receiving the money, you need to verify your debit card also. For this, click New Payment button and it will redirect you to verify your debit card. Tap the Continue button.
- Enter your debit card details – For the verification process, you will be asked to give the last 6 digits of the debit card linked with your bank account and its expiry date. Once you have provided this information, tap Verify Card button.
- Set up UPI PIN – Next, you will be asked to set up your UPI PIN. This 6-digit PIN acts as a security code which is used to confirm your money transactions. To set up UPI PIN, you have to verify your phone number via OTP and then enter your 6-digit PIN twice. After following all these steps, you will successfully set up your payment method.
With the same steps, you can add more than one bank account to your WhatsApp Payments. The first one is set as your primary payment method by default.
How to send money through WhatsApp Payments
There are various ways you can send money to someone through WhatsApp Payments feature.
Send money through WhatsApp chat directly
The first way is through the chat directly. Just follow these steps –
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.
- Open the chat of the user to whom you want to send money.
- Click the attachment button (paper clip icon) on the message typing box.
- Next, click Payment option.
- After that, enter the rupee amount you want to send. You can also write the description to tell the reason for sending money, however, this is optional.
- Now tap the send button to continue.
- You will be asked to enter your UPI PIN to complete the transaction. Once the payment is successful, you will see a confirmation message in the chat.
Send money using UPI ID
Another way to send money on WhatsApp is by using UPI ID. Here’s how you can use it –
- Open WhatsApp and go to the menu.
- Click Payments option.
- Next, tap New Payment button at the bottom.
- Now you will see “Send to a UPI ID” option. Simply, click on it and then enter the UPI ID of the user to whom you want to send your money. Click Verify to confirm if the UPI ID is correct or active.
- Next, you can enter your amount and complete the rest of the payment process by verifying it with your UPI PIN.
Send money via QR code
WhatsApp has also made QR code-based system to send and receive money through Payments. This step-by-step guide shows you how to use this feature –
- Open WhatsApp, go to Menu > Payment.
- Tap the New Payment button.
- Now click Scan QR code option.
- In the next step, you will be asked to scan the QR code of the recipient. Ask the user to open the WhatsApp Payments feature on their phone. From there, you can scan their QR code.
- After this, you can complete the payment process normally. Just enter the amount you want to send and then verify your identity by entering your 6-digit UPI PIN.
Conditions for sending money to any user
There are few conditions that are required to make the payment transaction possible on WhatsApp Payments. Here we have listed them –
- You must have set up your payment method successfully with debit card verification.
- The recipient, to whom you want to send your money on WhatsApp, also needs to have their WhatsApp Payments setup completely.
How to receive money through WhatsApp Payments
Receiving the money on WhatsApp is pretty similar to the sending process. You can use any of these 3 methods we have mentioned below –
- Ask the user to send money via WhatsApp chat – In this way, just ask the sender for money in their chat. They can use the Payment option in the attachment to send you money. Again, both sender and receiver should have WhatsApp Payments setup already to use this method.
- Use your QR Code to receive money – You can also share your QR code with the sender and they can scan it to send your money on WhatsApp. Your QR code is available in the WhatsApp Payments. Simply, click menu (three dots) and go to Payments > *Click your name*.
- Use your UPI ID – You can also use your UPI ID to receive money on WhatsApp. Simply, tell your UPI ID to the sender and they can use it to send you money by using the same method we have shared in sending money through UPI ID above.
So these are some methods to send and receive money on WhatsApp. We have already told you how to setup your WhatsApp Payments and add a payment method with full verification. That’s pretty much everything you need to know about this topic. If you still have any questions in your mind, feel free to share them in the comment section below.