Do you want to add an iPhone-like dynamic island notch on your Android smartphone? This might sound weird but it is actually possible. Dynamic Island comes built-in with the new iPhone 14 Pro but you can add it to your Android phone as well with the help of a third-party application.
This will work on any Android device irrespective of their model and version. For those of you who don’t know about dynamic island, let’s first discuss about it a little bit and then we will move to the tutorial part.
What is Dynamic Island?
Apple has come up with an innovation on the latest iPhone 14 Pro called Dynamic Island. This is a digital replacement of the traditional notch that used to come on older models of iPhone since 2017.
Dynamic Island is an interactive notch that is actually a part of the phone’s touch screen. It can displays alters and notifications on the go. What’s even more impressive about this feature is that it can change shape and size upon your touch.
We wouldn’t be wrong to say that the dynamic island is the coolest invention in notch displays. It’s the best notch design till date with the right utilisation of the screen. Because of its adjustable and compact size, it doesn’t take up much space on the phone screen.
Steps to add dynamic island on Android phone
iPhone has the dynamic island built into its design and system while this might not be possible with Android but there is an application called dynamicSpot which can add a similar kind of dynamic island to your smartphone. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Download and install the Dynamic Island – dynamicSpot app on your Android phone. This is a free to download app that you can install directly from Play Store. The size of the app is just 2.7 MB so it won’t take much time and bandwidth to download.
- Launch the Dynamic Island – dynamicSpot app once it has been installed on your smartphone successfully. Tap Next button to agree to the terms and conditions of the app. Now you will be asked to allow certain permissions to the app which are as follows:
- Select which apps can activate the popup. Choose this option and then enable the toggle button for each app that you want to allow. You can also select all apps at once by clicking over ALL option in the top-right corner.
- Allow notification access. Tap on this option and it will take you to the Notification access settings on your phone. There you have to find Dynamic Island – dynamicSpot app and enable it. You will get a pop-up box asking you to allow permission. Read all text and tap Allow button to continue.
- Allow draw over screen permission. Go back to the Dynamic Island setup screen and select this option. You will get a disclosure message saying that the app uses the AccessibilityService API to display a floating popup for multiple tasking. Click Next and then you will be taken to the Installed Services settings. Find dynamicSpot app and toggle on the button. You will get another pop-up message. Tap Allow option to continue.
- Allow active in background permission. This permission is required to keep the app active in background. Select the option and then tap Allow. Once you have completed all these steps, tap Done button on the setup screen.
- Tap play button in the upper-right corner to activate the dynamic island on your Android phone. There are various settings and customisation that you can tweak in the app such as notifications, behaviour. appearance, position, and more.
Every time you will get a new message or notification, it will appear in the dynamic island notch on your Android phone. Tap on it once to open the displayed app. You can expand it and view more details by long-pressing. There is a pro version available of the DynamicSpot app that offers more features.
By default, you will see a small display island at the centre of your Android phone screen like on iPhone 14 Pro. If it’s not aligned properly according to the notch of your phone, you can adjust its position. Simply, open the app and select Position. Now you can change the coordinates wherever you want to place the dynamic island accordingly.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is absolutely safe to use this method. The Dynamic Island (aka dynamicSpot) app that we have used here is available on Android’s official Play Store. The app is Play Protected, meaning it has been verified by Google as safe and secure. Feel free to install and use it on your Android phone without worrying about anything.
Yes, it will consume your battery life but not that much. The app runs in the background all the time to keep an eye on your notifications. It also appears on the top of your screen over other apps. These things require more resources than a normal app. If your phone lags or you have less storage, you shouldn’t use this app. Read out other tips to save your battery life.
You can remove the app as you normally uninstall any other application. Long-press on the dynamicSpot app and select Uninstall option. Alternatively, go to Settings > Apps > dynamicSpot and tap Uninstall button on the App Info page. Uninstalling will revoke all the permissions you have given to the app automatically.
So that’s how easy it was to add an iPhone-like dynamic island on your Android device with an app. We hope this guide has been helpful to you. If you learned something new, don’t forget to share it with your friends on social media. Let us know your views about the dynamicSpot app. How much similar does it look in comparison to Apple’s original dynamic island on iPhone 14 Pro?