Did your international driving permit (aka IDP) just expired and you are now worried about how to renew it? Don’t worry, we have got you covered. This guide will show you how to apply for the renewal of your international driving license online in India or from abroad.
An international driving permit is an important document that is required to rent and drive a vehicle in foreign countries legally. It is only valid for a year from the date when it was issued. If you travel frequently or you have plans to stay abroad for a longer period, you will need to renew your IDP after one year.
Overview of international driving license renewal
Normally, most people apply for the domestic driving license of the country they’re living in when their Indian-issued international driving permit expires. This is a very long process wherein you have to go through a written exam and take the driving test.
A better way out there is to apply for the renewal of your international driving permit (IDP) from India. This can be done online even if you are staying abroad. We can think of the renewal process in two parts. First, you have to submit an application to your High Commission/Embassy.
This will require you to fill up an application form called “Miscellaneous form” (which can be found on the Embassy website). You need to pay a processing fee and attach the required documents with your application. Also, you may be asked to visit your respective Embassy for verification.
The Embassy will then provide you with a certificate and payment receipt. In the second part, you have to apply for the renewal of your international driving permit (IDP) through the Parivahan Sarathi portal online. Now let us show a step-by-step guide for both these parts.
Part 1: Submit your IDP renewal application to the embassy
Here’s how you can submit your application to the Embassy –
- Download the application form available at your respective Embassy website. This form can be found by the name Miscellaneous Form under Consular Services. Here’s a sample of this form on the Embassy of India, Washington DC website. You can contact your embassy for further assistance.
- Fill up the application form with all the required details. Attach your recent passport-size photo and sign your signature. Make sure to read the declaration message.
- Attach the necessary documents such as your passport copy, identity proof, state ID, old international driving permit (expired IDP), original copy of your domestic driving license and others.
- Submit your application to High Commission via email or in person. You also need to visit the embassy with your original documents for verification.
- Once your documents have been verified, you will be asked to pay a small processing fee. This fee will be in the currency of the country you are living in. For example, you have to pay a fee of $10 in the US + $2 extra for Indian Community Welfare Fund.
- The Embassy will issue you a certificate and payment receipt. You are now halfway done. Make sure to Save/Print these documents for the next part.
The following documents will be required to submit your application for the renewal of international driving permit (IDP) to the High Commission/Embassy –
- Original international driving permit (expired)
- Domestic driving licence
- Indian passport (photocopies)
- Identity and residence proofs
- State ID Card
- Status: VISA, work permit, study permit or PR
- Passport-size photographs
Part 2: Apply for the renewal of your international driving permit
Once you have got the certificate and payment receipt from the High Commission/Embassy, you can apply for a new international driving license from the Parivahan Sarathi online. It’s the same process you followed when you first applied for an international driving permit. Here are the steps you need to follow –
- Go to the Parivahan Sarathi website and select your state name.
- Select Apply for International Driving Permit (IDP) from the list of services.
- Enter your domestic driving license details such as DL number and date of birth. Follow the on-screen instructions and continue.
- In the next step, you will be asked to select the service you want to apply for. Tick mark on Issue of International Driving Permit and tap the Proceed button.
- Now fill up the application form with all the required details. Attach all the necessary documents on the following web page.
- Finally, pay the requisite fee and submit your application. You will be provided with a payment receipt. Save/Print it for future reference.
Once your application has been submitted, the licensing authority will verify your documents. After that, they will issue a new international driving license to you. It will be sent to your postal address in the country where you’re living. This process can take 7-8 days or even up to several weeks. Meanwhile, you can download the digital copy of your driving license online.
You will need the following documents to apply for a new international driving permit (IDP) on the Parivahan Sarathi portal –
- Certificate and payment receipt from the High Commission/Embassy.
- Application in Form 4A and 1A.
- Driving license of the applicant (domestic)
- Identify/Residence proof (Indian)
- Passport copies
- Passport-size photographs
Fee charges for the renewal of international driving permit (IDP)
You have to pay the fees two times, once at the High Commission/Embassy to submit your application for the renewal. The second time is at the Parivahan Sarathi portal when you apply for a new international driving permit (IDP).
The embassy will charge around $10 (in foreign currency) for the application fee and $2 extra for the Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF). On the other hand, you have to ₹1000 fee (in Indian currency) while applying for an international driving permit on the Parivahan Sarathi portal online.
|Embassy application fee||$10 Approx.||Foreign|
|Indian Community Welfare charges||$2 Aprrox.||Foreign|
|Renewal fee at Parivahan Sarathi||₹1000||Indian local (INR)|
Note: The above fee charges are subject to change and they may be different for different countries. Please contact your respective High Commission to know the exact fees.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is possible to renew your international driving license from abroad. This requires you to obtain a certificate from your High Commission/Embassy and then you can apply for renewal of your IDP through the Parivahan Sarathi portal.
An Indian international driving permit (IDP) is valid for one year from the date of issuance or the expiry date of your domestic driving licence (whichever comes earlier).
Yes, you can apply for a new IDP after one year. This can be applied online from the Parivahan Sarathi portal or by visiting the RTO in person. If you are abroad, you need to submit a request to your High Commission/Embassy and pay a renewal fee.
It depends on the country you are applying from. Generally, it will take about 3-4 weeks for the licensing authority to process and issue your international driving license.
In this article, we showed you a step-by-step guide to applying for the renewal of your international driving permit online. Now you no longer have to worry about your IDP expiring after a year. With the online application process, you can renew it even while you’re abroad. If you are facing any problems or you have any queries regarding this topic, let us know in the comments below.