This tutorial will guide you how to apply for a duplicate driving license in India. You will find out everything related to this topic such as what documents are required, what is the procedure to apply online and offline, what are the fee charges for duplicate DL, and other FAQs.
A driving licence is an important document that is mandatory for everyone to carry when they are driving a motor vehicle. There are chances of getting your driving licence lost or stolen. If you have the old format DL as a paper document, it might get torn or damaged over time. In such situations, you will need to apply for a duplicate driving licence.
Duplicate Driving Licence (DL) Overview
There are two different ways you can get a new driving licence. One way is to apply online using the Parivahan Sarathi website. The second way is to apply offline from the Regional Transport Office.
The process involves filling up an application form, submitting necessary documents and paying the required fee. An overview of applying for a duplicate DL is provided below –
|Service name||Duplicate DL|
|Purpose||To get a new driving licence|
|Needed for||When DL is lost, stolen or damaged|
|Requirements||Form 2, original DL copy, and fees|
|Availability||All states in India|
|Department||Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH)|
|Provider||Government of India|
|Online Portal||Parivahan Sarathi|
|Contact number||+91 120 4925505|
How to get a duplicate driving licence online in India
Parivahan Sarathi, an online portal developed by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH), offers various services related to a driving licence. It also provides an online facility to apply for a duplicate DL.
Parivahan Sarathi is an all-in-one central website for Indian citizens regardless of their state of residence. Here’s a step-by-step guide that shows how to apply for a duplicate driving licence online using the Parivahan Sarathi portal –
- Visit the Parivahan website at parivahan.gov.in using Chrome or any other browser on your PC/smartphone.
- Head over to the Online Services in the navigation menu and then click on Driving License Related Services. You will be redirected to the Parivahan Sarathi portal.
- Now select your state name from the list. It will take you to a specific transport department web page of your state. The following web page will show you a list of services for driving licence.
- Click on Apply for Duplicate DL. Next, you will see the instructions for application submission. Read all the information (if necessary) and tap the Continue button to proceed.
- Enter your driving licence number, data of birth (DOB), and captcha. The format to write your driving license number is mentioned below. Once you entered all details, tap on Get DL Details button.
- Now you will see all the details of your driving licence. Confirm these details by selecting Yes and enter your pin code. Make sure that all the mandatory fields are filled up. Tap the Proceed button to continue.
- Once you are logged in to your driving license account, you will again see a list of services on your screen. Find Issue of Duplicate DL and click on it.
- Select any of the reasons why you are applying for a duplicate DL. There are three options available: DL/PSV Badge Mulilated, Loss of DL/PSV Badge, and Miscellaneous. Add remarks and tap the Confirm button.
- Read and accept the declaration message. Tick mark all the required checkboxes and enter the captcha code. Click on the Submit button to continue.
- The following web page will show you an application form. Fill in all the required details and submit the form.
- Next, you will be asked to submit your documents such as a copy of your old driving license, FIR copy (in case your DL is lost or stolen), identity proof (like Aadhaar card or passport), and others. Upload and attach the necessary documents.
- Finally, you will head to the payment page where you have to pay the required fee. Select your preferred payment gateway and complete the payment.
Once your application has been approved from the RTO, you will be issued a new driving license shortly. It will be sent to your registered address via post within 30 days.
From filling up the application form to submitting your documents and paying the fee, Parivahan Sarathi allows you to do everything from the comfort of your home. This is one of the easiest methods to apply for a duplicate driving licence.
How to apply for a duplicate driving licence offline
A secondary way to apply for a duplicate driving licence is by visiting the Regional Transport Office and submitting your application manually. This method is beneficial for people who are not comfortable with online procedure. It also allows applicants to ask questions directly to an official representative and get immediate feedback.
Follow these simple steps to apply for a duplicate driving licence offline –
- Step 1 – Go to your DL issuer RTO (Regional Transport Office) from where your driving license was issued.
- Step 2 – Ask for the Form LLD or Form 2 (whichever applicable for duplicate DL).
- Step 3 – Fill out an application form. You have to provide your driving licence number, personal information, and other details.
- Step 4 – Submit your application at the respective counter along with all necessary documents. You can ask the representative about what documents are required.
- Step 5 – Pay the applicable fee and get the payment receipt. That’s it! A new driving licence will be issued to you once your documents have been verified by the RTO.
Documents requirement for duplicate driving licence
You will need the following documents to apply for a duplicate driving license –
- Application in Form LLD or Form 2 (whichever applicable)
- FIR copy (if your driving licence is lost or stolen)
- A copy of your original driving licence.
- Identify/Address proof such as Aadhaar card or passport.
- Challan clearance from the RTO (if applicable).
- Form 1 – Application-cum-decalration as to physical fitness (if applicable).
Please your RTO for more information about what documents are needed in your case.
Fee charges for duplicate driving licence
The fee for a duplicate driving licence is ₹200. An additional ₹200 will be charged to issue smart card DL so in total you have to ₹400. You can pay this fee both online and offline depending on the method you choose to apply for the duplicate DL.
|Duplicate DL Fees||Amount|
|DL Smart Card||₹200|
How to download digital driving licence online
It is important to have your driving licence with you when you are driving a motor vehicle. Failing to do so can result in fines or other penalties. If your driving license is lost/stolen or damaged and you have applied for a duplicate one, you can download a digital copy of your DL until your new driving licence arrives.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH) has officially allowed the use of digital driving licences for all citizens in India. The driving licence will be considered valid only if it is issued by a government-authorised app such as DigiLocker or mParivahan. Also, it must be stored within the app and not as a PDF document offline.
If you ever get stopped by traffic police at a checkpoint and asked to show your documents such as DL and vehicle RC, you can show them your digital copies stored on any of these apps. In accordance with the law, the traffic police will accept them as valid documents. Here’s how to download your driving license online on mParivahan app –
- Download and install the mParivahan app on your device. This app is available on the App Store (iOS) and Play Store (Android) for free.
- Open the app and sign in to your account using your mobile number and M-PIN. If you are not registered already, sign up to create a new account.
- Once logged in, click on My Virtual DL option from the home screen.
- Now enter your driving licence number and date of birth.
- Tap on Add My Driving Licence button to continue.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered phone number. Enter that OTP to verify your identity and tap the Submit button.
- Finally, your driving licence will be added to the mParivahan app and you can find it under My Virtual DL section. Alternatively, you can tap the menu button (three parallel lines ☰ in the upper-left corner) and then go to Virtual Documents > My Virtual DL.
Frequently asked questions
You have to fill an application in From LLD or Form 2 where you have to declare the reason why you are applying for a duplicate driving licence (whether it is lost, stolen, or damaged) and provide all necessary details such as your DL number, class of vehicles, issue date, validity and more.
Form 2 is an application form used to apply for a duplicate DL and various other driving licence-related services. It can be obtained from the local RTO or downloaded online from the website of the transport department (Parivahan Sarathi). The form needs to be filled out and submitted along with the required documents and fees.
Those who have lost, stolen or damaged their driving licence can apply for a duplicate. If you want to renew your driving license, get a new smart card DL, or update your mobile number/address, there is a separate procedure to apply for these services.
There is no difference at all. A duplicate license is the exact copy of your original driving licence. It is issued to replace a lost, stolen or damaged license. The duplicate license will have the same validity, photograph, driving licence number and other details as the original.
It takes around 4 weeks for the duplicate licence to arrive from the date your application is submitted and approved. This may vary depending on your RTO, state of residence, and delivery address. You can check the status of your DL application online via the Parivahan Sarathi portal or contact your local RTO for more information.
No, you don’t have to give the test again as long as your original driving licence is valid and not expired. Please note that a driving licence is only valid for 20 years or 50 years of age (whichever comes first). In case your driving licence has expired, you will need to renew it instead of applying for a duplicate DL.
It will be valid for the same period of time as your original driving licence. For example, if your original DL has 5 years of time left before expiry, your duplicate driving licence will have the same validity.
Yes, you can do that but you may be asked to provide NOC (No Objection Certificate) from your previous RTO. An alternative solution is to apply for a change of address in your DL to issue a new driving licence at your updated address.
You should immediately report the loss to the police. This can also be done online using the Lost/Stolen Report service on the police department website of the state where the incident happened. Once you have got a copy of an FIR, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence from the Parivahan Sarathi portal or by visiting the RTO.
Obtaining a duplicate driving license is now easier than ever before. Parivahan Sarathi has made it even simpler with an online application process. For those of you who don’t feel comfortable applying online, you may visit the RTO in person and submit your documents manually.
Now you don’t have to worry about getting your driving licence lost, stolen, or damaged as you can apply for a new DL any time from the comfort of your home. In this article, we have shown you a step-by-step process to apply via both online and offline methods. If you have any queries, feel free to share them in the comments.
Read other similar articles:
- How to Apply for Duplicate RC Online
- How to Update Mobile Number in Driving License (DL)
- How to Check Vehicle RC Status Online
- How to Download Aadhar Card Online (PDF)
- How to Check Status and Pay E-Challan Online
- How to Find Vehicle Owner Details Using Vehicle Number