Lost or damaged your vehicle RC? This guide shows you how to apply for a duplicate RC online or in person. Know the step-by-step process and find out what documents are required to get a new RC. We have provided detailed information about this topic and addressed all the questions that you may have.
Why is vehicle RC important?
RC (short for Registration Certificate) is an important document that identifies the vehicle and serves as proof of ownership. It is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of a particular state in India.
RC contains important details about the vehicle such as its registration number, owner’s name, address of the owner, validity of the vehicle, chassis number, engine number, insurance details and more.
What to do if your vehicle RC is lost, stolen or damaged
The vehicle needs to have an RC as it is necessary to legally drive it on public roads. If you failed to show the registration certificate (RC) of your vehicle while checking, the traffic police may impound the vehicle and you may be subject to other legal proceedings.
In case you have lost or damaged your RC, you must apply for a duplicate RC immediately to be able to drive the vehicle legally. This can be done either by visiting the RTO office in person or by using the Parivahan portal online from the comfort of your home.
If your vehicle RC is lost or stolen, you also need to inform the incident to the police and get a written report. This report will be attached to your application while applying for a duplicate RC. The report should mention all the details about your vehicle such as RC number, chassis number, and more.
What is duplicate RC?
A duplicate RC is a copy of the original Registration Certificate (RC) of your vehicle which is issued from the same RTO where the vehicle was previously registered. This is in the case of the original RC being damaged, lost or stolen.
The process of applying for a duplicate RC involves submitting an application form along with certain documents to the Regional Transport Office (RTO). You will also need to pay a fee depending on the type of vehicle.
Documents required to apply for duplicate RC
You will need the following documents to apply for a duplicate vehicle RC –
- Form 26 – You have to fill out an application in Form 26 for the issue of a duplicate certificate of registration (RC). Here’s the sample PDF of the Form 26 application on the Parvivahan portal.
- Police certificate – Report the loss or destruction of the registration certificate (RC) to your local police station and get a copy of the report. This report is a mandatory requirement to obtain a duplicate RC.
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate of your vehicle.
- Insurance certificate of your vehicle.
- Address proof
- PAN card’s attested copy or Form 60 and Form 61 (whichever is applicable).
- Challan clearance from traffic police.
- Commercial vehicles require tax clearance from the Accounts Department.
- Chassis and engine pencil impression.
- Owner’s signature identification.
- Affidavit stating that the RC is lost and not impounded.
Note: Not all of the documents listed above may be required. This varies depending on the state where you apply for a duplicate RC. Please contact your RTO office or visit the state transport official website to know what all documents will be necessary in your case.
How to apply for duplicate RC online
Applying for a duplicate RC online is convenient, and quick. This saves you a lot of time and effort as it eliminates the need to make a physical visit to the Regional Transport Office (RTO) and stand in long queues.
All you need to do is provide your personal details and vehicle details, upload any necessary documents, and pay the applicable fees. The process requires no paperwork and can be completed within minutes.
You can apply for a duplicate RC online from any state in India using the Parivahan Sewa portal. It is an online platform developed by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) for the citizens of India to provide vehicle-related services.
Steps to apply for a duplicate RC online –
- Go to the official website of Parivahan Sewa at parivahan.gov.in using Chrome or any other browser on your device.
- From the navigation menu, head to Online Services > Vehicle Related Services.
- Select your state and RTO. Tap on Proceed button to continue.
- Now find and select Duplicate RC option.
- Enter your vehicle registration number (printed on number plate) and the last 5 digits of the chassis number. Hit on Verify Details button. The chassis number of a car is usually printed on the driver’s side door. If you have a bike, you can find the chassis number near the bike’s handle or motor.
- In the next step, you will be asked to complete the OTP verification. Tap on Generate OTP. After that, you will receive an OTP on your registered phone number. Enter it on the website to verify your identity.
- Select Issue of Duplicate RC from the list of services.
- Fill out all the details accurately and upload the necessary documents along with the Form 26 application. Once you have done that, hit the Submit button.
- Next, pay the applicable fee and submit the form. Finally, take a printout of your application and payment receipt.
- After you have submitted your application online, you still need to visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO) in person for verification purposes. Take all the required documents along with a copy of your application and payment receipt. Once your application has been verified, you will be issued a duplicate RC for your vehicle.
How to apply for duplicate RC from the RTO office
Another way to apply for a duplicate RC is by visiting the RTO office in person. You can get assistance from the RTO staff in case you have any questions or need help filling out the forms. Furthermore, you can also clarify any doubts regarding the documents to be submitted for the duplicate RC application in your state.
Here’s a general overview of how you need to proceed with an offline method to get a duplicate RC from the RTO office –
- Step 1: Go to the nearest police station and file a complaint for your lost or stolen RC. Get a copy of your police report.
- Step 2: Take all the necessary documents that are required to apply for a duplicate RC and visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO) where the vehicle was originally registered.
- Step 3: Fill out the Form 26 and other necessary application forms (if required in your case).
- Step 4: Submit your documents along with the Form 26.
- Step 5: Pay for the applicable fee.
- Step 6: RTO will verify your application and then issue a duplicate registration of certificate or RC for your vehicle.
Fees related to applying for duplicate RC
The fee required to apply for a duplicate RC varies depending on the type of vehicle.
|Type of vihicle||Fee for applying duplicate RC|
|Medium goods vehicle||₹500|
|Medium passenger motor vehicle||₹500|
|Heavy goods vehicle||₹750|
|Heavy passenger motor vehicle||₹750|
|Imported motor vehicle||₹2500|
|Imported motor cycle||₹1250|
|Any other vehicle||₹1500|
Source: Parivahan Fees and User Charges
Note: The above fee structure is subject to change by the Government of India so make to check the official Parivahan website or ask the RTO staff to know the latest fee.
How to file a police complaint for lost RC online
If you have lost your vehicle RC in a public place, you can file a police complaint online (called lost article report) on your state police’s official website. By doing so, you will be able to obtain the police report you need to apply for a duplicate RC. All this can be done from the comfort of your home. Here’s a step-by-step guide –
- Visit the official website of your state police and go to the Lost Article Report section. You can also search for “Lost Article Report *state name* police” on Google and find the exact web page directly. As an example here, we will be using the Delhi Police Lost / Found Article website.
- Fill in all the required fields. You will be asked to provide your name, father’s/mother’s name, address, email address, mobile number, place of loss, and more. Select the date and time when you lost your RC.
- Select Registration Certificate of Vehicle from the list of Lost Articles. In the description field, provide all the details of your RC such as registration number, engine number, chassis number and more.
- Enter the security code for verification and hit the Submit button.
- Upon successful submission of your RC lost complaint, you will receive a digitally signed copy of your report sent to your registered email address. Download the report and take a printout. You can use it to apply for a duplicate RC.
Note: The online lost article report is only meant for the lost items. If your vehicle RC is stolen or damaged, visit the nearest police station and file a complaint in person.
How to download digital RC in DigiLocker
The digital RC which is issued through DigiLocker and mParivahan is legally valid across India and it can be used even if the physical copy of the RC is lost or damaged. So until you get your new registration certificate, you can legally drive your vehicle by downloading the digital copy of your RC on DigiLocker or mParivahan.
The following steps will show you how to download digital RC online in DigiLocker:
- Download and install the DigiLocker app on your Android or iOS device. It’s available on the Play Store and App Store for free.
- Open the app once it is installed and tap Get Started button on the home page. If you are an existing user, log in to your account. Otherwise, create a new account.
- Once you are logged in, go to the Search tab and find Registration of Vehicles. You can find it under Transport > Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Enter your registration number (RC number as printed on your vehicle’s number plate) and the last 5 digits of the chassis number. Hit the Get Document button.
- Now go to the Issued Documents page. Tap on the vehicle RC you have added. It will open the digital copy of your registration certificate. If you are stopped during checking, you can show your DigiLocker RC to the traffic police. It is considered valid.
DigiLocker is an Indian government-issued app so it is a safe place to download your virtual RC. This app allows you to store other documents and certificates online like PAN card, Aadhaar card, driving license, marksheets and more.
Frequently asked questions
FORM 26 is used for the purpose of applying for a duplicate certificate of registration in the case of a lost, stolen, or damaged vehicle RC. It is to be filed with the Registering Authority in the prescribed format. The form requires the applicant to make certain declarations about the original certificate.
It usually takes 15-30 working days for the duplicate RC to be issued from the date your application was submitted.
An original RC is an original document issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) at the time of vehicle registration. On the other hand, a duplicate RC is issued by the RTO when an owner needs a replacement for the original RC, due to loss or damage. Both the original and the duplicate RC are identical and contain the same details.
As per the guidelines by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, a digitally signed virtual RC saved on DigiLocker or mParivahan will be considered valid in all states of India. So this means you can travel with a virtual RC if the original RC of your vehicle is lost or damaged. Please note that your virtual RC must be saved in the DigiLocker or mParivahan app online, not as a PDF document.
Yes. Even if you apply for a duplicate RC online, you still need to visit the RTO in order to verify your documents. Make sure to take all the necessary documents along with your application and payment receipt.
Yes, if it falls into the wrong hands, it can be misused. A fraudster can use it to provide a new identity to a stolen vehicle. This is why it is important to file a police complaint of your lost or stolen RC so you cannot be held legally responsible for any illegal activities performed with it.
Since the Government of India has launched the Parivahan Sewa portal, it has been a lot easier to get most of the RTO work done online. Applying for a duplicate RC is one of the services provided by the Parivahan portal. This allows you to apply from the comfort of your home without having to visit the RTO and stand in long queues.
The online process is so simple that there is no need to take help from a third party and pay them an unnecessary extra fee. This article has outlined all the steps you need to follow to apply for a duplicate vehicle RC online. In addition, you have learned how to file a police complaint for your lost RC and travel with your vehicle legally without the original registration certificate.
We have tried our best to explain everything about the topic. If you still have any questions or queries, feel free to share them in the comment section below. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family. You can also check out other similar guides on your website.
Read other similar articles:
- How to Check Vehicle RC Status Online
- How to Check Status and Pay E-Challan Online
- How to Download Vehicle RC Online (PDF)
- How to Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence Online
- How to Find Vehicle Owner Details Using Vehicle Number