Do you want to find out what hashtags your friends follow on Instagram? By looking at the hashtags someone follows, you can get a better understanding of what they are interested in, as well as what kind of content they are likely to engage with. This can help you find common ground and give you an idea of what to talk about with that person.
In this article, you will learn how to see the hashtags your friends follow on Instagram. By using the same technique, you can also find out what hashtags your favourite celebrity, influencer, politician, or content creator follows. This is a great way to discover new content and ideas that your favourite people are passionate about.
How to see hashtags your friends follow on Instagram
When someone follows a hashtag on Instagram, it is added to their Following list just like a normal account. To see what hashtags your friend follows on Instagram, you can check their Following list which has a separate section for hashtags. You can also search for a particular hashtag manually. Here’s a step-by-step guide –
- Launch the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Go to the Explore page by clicking over the search icon at the bottom of the app screen.
- Tap the search bar at the top and search for your friend’s username whose hashtags you want to see. Tap on their profile from the search results. This will take you to their profile page.
- Now tap the Following option. In the next screen, you will see a list of accounts that your friend follows.
- Go to the Hashtags section. This will bring up a list of all the hashtags that your friend is following on Instagram. You can also use the search bar at the top to search for a particular hashtag. If you find any hashtag interesting, you can tap the Follow button directly.
How to know if your friend follows a hashtag on Instagram
To know if your friend follows a particular hashtag on Instagram, you can either use the previous method or check it from the hashtag page. In the hashtag page, you can see all the users from your account who follows that hashtag. Here are the steps you need to follow –
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap the magnifying glass icon at the bottom.
- Tap the search bar at the top and type the hashtag name.
- Click on the hashtag from the search results. This will take you to the hashtag page.
- Under the Follow button, you will see the username of your friends mentioned who follow that hashtag.
How to see hashtags of a private account
If you want to see the hashtags a person you don’t follow on Instagram, you will be able to check it from their Following list only if they have a public account. In case the person has a private account, the above methods will not work.
To know what hashtags someone follows on Instagram whom you aren’t following and if they have a private account, you need send them a follow request first. Once it has been accepted, you will get access to their Following list.
Go to their profile page and tap the Following option. Next, go to the Hashtags section and there you will see a list of all the hashtags that the person follows on Instagram. Use the search bar at the top to search for a specific hashtag.
Note: If the person doesn’t accept your follow request or you don’t want to follow him for some reason, then you can use a secondary account or ask your mutual friend, who has access to the person’s account, to send you a screenshot of the hashtags from their Following list.
How to see what hashtags your friends uses on their posts
A person can use hashtags in their posts without following them. To know what hashtags your friends are using, you can check the caption of their posts. Just go to their profile page and open the post or reel whose hashtags you want to check.
In the caption below, you’ll see all the hashtags that the person has tagged in the post. Some people also hide hashtags at the end. If you see the “more” option, click on it to view the entire caption. You can also look for hashtags in the comment section.
By knowing what hashtags your friends use in their posts, you can find out the topics they are interested in. It can also help you to find out the hashtags that someone uses to grow their reach and engagement.
How to see what hashtags you follow on Instagram
If you don’t know what hashtags you follow on Instagram, you can check that from your following list. This can be helpful to unfollow unnecessary hashtags that you are no longer interested to see in your feed. Here’s what you need to do –
- Open the Instagram app.
- Head to your profile page by clicking on your profile picture icon at the bottom-right corner.
- Tap the Following option.
- Go to the Hashtags section. You will find it under Categories.
- On the following page, you will see all the hashtags that you follow on Instagram. Tap on the hashtag to visit its page. There you can check which of your friends are following the same hashtag.
- If you want to unfollow any hashtag, tap on the Following option next to it and then select Unfollow from the pop-up box.
Can your friends see what hashtags you follow on Instagram
Yes. Just like you can see what hashtags your friends follow on Instagram, they can also see hashtags you follow in the same way. This is possible as long as the person has access to your Following list and if you have a public account.
If you have a private account on Instagram, only your approved followers have access to your Following list. If that case, someone who doesn’t follows your account will not be able to see what hashtags you follow and use on your posts.
How to hide hashtags you follow on Instagram
Instagram has made your following list public to everyone who has access to your account. If you don’t want others to know what hashtags you follow on Instagram, the only way to do that is by switching your account to private. Here’s how you can do that –
Go to your Instagram profile and tap the menu button (three parallel lines) in the top-right corner. After that, click on Settings from the menu options and then select Privacy. Under Account Privacy, toggle on the button named Private account.
Note: Even if you have a private account, those who are already following you can still access your Following list. Also, someone who has a mutual friend can ask them to know your hashtags. To block any person, you can remove him from your followers.
How to hide hashtags in your posts
If you use hashtags to grow your post reach and engagement, you should hide them to make your post look natural and less spammy. This can be done either by adding the hashtags at the end of the caption or by adding them as a comment.
When you are about to share a post or reel on Instagram, tap on the caption box and write a caption. After that, press the enter or return button on your keyboard and create multiple blank lines. Paste the hashtags at the end.
This way, your hashtags will remain hidden until someone clicks on the “more” option to read the entire caption. Instead of adding hashtags in the caption, you can also add them as a comment once your post or reel has been posted.
Frequently asked questions
No, Instagram does not notify users when you check someone’s hashtags, so it is unlikely for the person to know that you saw what hashtags they follow.
If you can’t find Hashtags section in the following list, try updating your Instagram app. This should fix the issue. If that doesn’t work, use the Instagram website via Chrome or Safari.
If the following list of a person has no hashtags, it might be possible that they aren’t following any hashtags at all.
We have this guide has been helpful for you to find out the hashtags your friends follow on Instagram. Now that you have an idea of what someone likes, you can have a meaningful conversation with them by talking about the same topics they are interested it. Please share any questions you might have about this topic in the comments below.
Check these out:
- Top trending viral hashtags for Instagram reels
- 100+ popular travel hashtags for Instagram
- Best Instagram notes: 200+ Unique and cool ideas