Normally, Instagram let you apply filters on photos that are clicked from its built-in camera on stories and reels. Similarly, if you want to use a camera effect, you have to record a video from within the Instagram app. Most of the time we use our phone’s built-in camera to click pictures and record videos. What if you want to apply Instagram filters on them?
In this tutorial, we will show you how to add Instagram filters on existing photos and videos that are saved in your gallery or camera roll. This is possible with the new effect feature on Instagram story and reels editor that allows you to apply filters on pictures and videos you have already taken. You can use this feature on both iPhone and Android device. Let’s get started and see how it works!
Table of Contents
Add Instagram filters on existing photo/video in story
Instagram offer various filters for stories that you can add on any photo or video from your gallery or camera roll. This can be done by swiping left or right on the story editor screen. Apart from the story filters, you can also add other effects that you have saved on your Instagram. This step-by-step guide will show you how to add Instagram filters on your existing photos and videos in story –
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Tap + Your Story option at the top-left corner. Alternatively, you can click on plus (+) button and then choose Story option.
- Load the photo or video from your gallery or camera roll on which you want to apply Instagram filters. Next, it will take you to the story editor screen.
- Tap the effects option at the top as shown in the below picture. This will reveal various effects that you can choose from the bottom.
- Select the filter you want to apply on your photo or video. Scroll left or right to change the effect. Tap the Done button to apply it.
- Now you can post the photo or video on your Instagram story. Simply, click on Your Story option. If you want to save it on your phone, then tap the download icon.
Add Instagram filters on existing photo/video in reels
There are so many camera effects and filters available for Instagram reels. When you are recording a video in reels, you get an option to choose an effect for it. You will see filters that you have saved on your Instagram along with some other trending and suggested camera effects that you can use on your reels. Now the question is what if you have already recorded a video on your phone and you want to add Instagram filters on it? Here’s how you can do that –
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Tap the + plus button at the top and then go to Reels. This will take you to the reels camera.
- Now load the video from your camera roll on which you want to add Instagram filter. After you have selected the video, click Add followed by tapping on Preview button. Next, you will move to the editor screen.
- Click on the effects icon at the top (three stars or smiley emoji).
- You will see a number of effects at the bottom. Clicking on the effect will show you the live preview. Scroll left to change them. Just choose the filter you want to use on your video.
- Finally, you can post the video on your Instagram reels or save it on your phone by clicking on the download icon at the top. That’s it.
Fix Instagram not showing filters or effects
Some users have complained that they didn’t find any effects option on the story and reels editor screen. If you didn’t find this option on your Instagram also, you won’t be able to add filters on your existing photos or videos. There are several reasons why Instagram doesn’t show effects option which includes outdated app version, internet connection issue, or some technical glitch in the app. Here we have discussed all reasons in detail and how you can fix them on your phone quickly –
- Update Instagram app – Instagram camera effects and filters are new features which aren’t available in the older versions. If you are using an outdated Instagram app on your smartphone, then this might be the reason why you are not seeing any effects option on the story and reels. To fix this issue, simply update your Instagram app to the latest version from the App Store on iPhone/iOS and Google Play Store on Android.
- Check internet connection – Instagram filters and camera effects only works when you are connected to the internet. You can’t add filters on your existing photos and videos from Instagram if you are offline. So make sure that your mobile data or Wi-Fi is turned on and your internet connection is working properly.
- Clear cached data – Sometimes Instagram don’t show effects option due to some technical glitch in the app. This can easily fixed by clearing the cached data and restarting your smartphone. Simply, go to Settings > Apps > Instagram and then choose Storage. Tap Clear Cache button. After that, restart your phone and try again to add Instagram filters on your existing photos and videos from camera roll or gallery.
General FAQs about Instagram filters
Have some questions in your mind about Instagram filters and camera effects? Here we have shared some frequently asked questions on this topic –
Can you add saved Instagram filters on your existing photos/videos?
Yes, you can add saved Instagram filters on your existing photos and videos from camera roll. You will see your saved filters in the starting when you add effect in story and reels on Instagram.
How to download photo/video after applying Instagram filter?
After applying Instagram filter on your photo or video, you may want to download it on your phone instead of posting on your profile. This can be done by clicking on the download icon on the story or reels editor screen (whichever you are using to add filter on your existing photo or video from gallery).
Can you add effects on reels after recording?
Instagram reels camera has an option to add live effects on your video. If you have already recorded your video with the Instagram camera or your phone’s built-in camera, you can still add filters on it with the same method we have shared in this guide.
How to save Instagram filters?
Let’s suppose you are scrolling through reels on Instagram and find a camera effect which you want to add on your existing photos and videos from camera roll. In this case, you can save that effect on your Instagram. Simply, click on the filter name at the bottom (It is available next to the reels audio name). This will take you to the effect page. Just tap on the save button. Now that filter will appear in the camera effects on your story and reels.
So that’s how you can add Instagram filters on your existing photos and videos from gallery or camera roll. Most of the people record their reels with the built-in camera on their phone. This feature comes really handy to apply camera effects on the videos that you have already recorded outside Instagram. We have discussed almost everything on this topic. If you still have any question in your mind, you can share it with in the comment section below.